Sunday, May 8, 2011

Been Awhile

Ok, so I am having fun at my job, sue me! lol.  I have been also enjoying weekends off like normal people.  I just finished the first wedding event at center since I was hired.  What a blast.

So I have a beef:  The new biggest trend is this "Gluten Free diet" and how much better people feel on it.  Every time some says to me, "Oh I can't have that piece of pie, cake, cookie, frickin banana or fresh snapped green bean, I can't have gluten." I want to scream.  Seriously people, just moderate what you eat.   Some people are allergic to peanuts, but that sends them to the hospital.  I googled gluten/allergies and not once did I see that it is life threatening.  Ie: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten-free_diet

I just don't get it.  Yes, I will probably end up with diabetes in a few years, so i snack on apples instead of potato chips.  I drink milk and soda pop. I also drink 2-3 bottles of water a day.  I eat protein, carbs, & vegies at most every dinner. None of that has killed me yet.  Gluten free, my a**!

Wikipedia says "The exact level at which gluten is harmless is uncertain and controversial. A recent systematic review tentatively concluded that consumption of less than 10 mg of gluten per day is unlikely to cause histological abnormalities, although it noted that few reliable studies had been done." AND "People wishing to follow a completely gluten free diet must also take into consideration the ingredients of any over-the-counter or prescription medications and vitamins. Also, cosmetics such as lipstick, lip balms, and lip gloss may contain gluten and need to be investigated before use. Glues used on envelopes may also contain gluten."

The more I read about it, the more angry I get.  FOR REAL? You may not be able to lick envelopes anymore because they may have gluten.   Now, If anyone out there is deathly allergic to all things containing gluten, I apologize if this offends you.  I would never bring a live yellow jacket up to someone who was allergic to bees to see if it would sting them and they would go into shock.  But this is my blog and I can vent how I want to. 

If you don't enjoy sweets or cake, no one will think the worse of you if you say you don't like cake. I personally love brownies for my birthday cake instead.   If you don't like lettuce because it tastes wierd and has an icky texture than that is your opinion.  However to say you "can't eat that, because it has gluten" is being so overused that I want to scream.... just say you will pass on the cookies and pie! No one will think anything worse of you and you won't be falling in with the fads and trends of this new falutin' gluten free stupid, head smacking, ridiculous, DIET!
Now that I have told you how I really feel, Have a wonderful Mother's Day!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment